Identifying signs and symptoms of blood sugar imbalance early on is key to avoiding the complications of high and low blood sugar problems!
In health care, signs are what we see and symptoms are what someone reports or complains of.
Could a health issue be both a sign and a symptom? Yes it can as is the case with obesity. We can see that someone is overweight and that person can also complain about stubborn weight gain that they can’t seem to lose.
Could a sign or a symptom be hidden or unknown to the person who has them?
I also say yes to this because someone could have a sign such as discoloration of their skin in an area where they can’t see it and therefore they don’t know it! A symptom may not be hidden as much as it can be easily ignored simply because it’s common to many people, it’s not incapacitating or it’s something that is present a lot and so someone actually experiences it as customary and even normal instead of unusual or abnormal.
Keep these concepts in mind as you read through the signs and symptoms for both high and low blood sugar! This is just a partial list but these are some of the more classics signs and symptoms that are strong indicators that a blood sugar problem is looming.
SIGNS of Blood Sugar Imbalance
1. Darkened skin along the jawline or neck. This darkening of the skin is called acanthosis nigra and occurs due to elevated insulin levels present with elevated blood sugar. It can also be found in areas of the body with creases such as the armpits or under the breasts.
2. Extra abdominal fat. Increasing trunk and abdominal fat, especially in the upper abdomen is a classic sign of blood sugar disturbance. Trunkal fat can include fat on the back, chest sides of the waist and shoulder blade areas.
3. Base of the neck fat pad. This area of fat is sometimes referred to as a buffalo hump. Like belly fat, the base of the neck fat is very specific to elevated blood sugar and is a kind of fat that tends to be very inflammatory.
4. Enlarged breasts for men. Elevated blood sugar in men stimulates activity of an enzyme that shifts testosterone to estrogen which then promotes growth of breast tissue.
5. Abnormal lab results. Fasting glucose below 78 or above 93, Hb A1C at 5.6 or above, fasting insulin above 7, triglycerides above 100.
SYMPTOMS of Blood Sugar Imbalance
1. Fatigue. Feeling tired is a hallmark symptom of blood sugar imbalance and particularly so when it occurs after eating. If it’s bad enough that you can’t hold your eyes open after you eat that is a sure sign of dysregulation of your insulin which normally lowers your blood sugar.
2. Cravings. Especially for sweets and especially after you eat. Another strong sign of poorly regulated blood sugar.
3. Feeling super charged after eating. As much as we think that our food should give us energy it actually should do nothing but satisfy hunger and maintain the energy you already have. That supercharged feeling after eating can a be a symptom of low blood sugar prior to eating. (I’m not counting the effect of caffeine here).
4. Poor focus or attention. When you notice that you can’t continue to focus on what you are doing especially when it involves listening to someone, this can be a classic sign of falling blood sugar. Irritability, depression or frustration can accompany this.
5. Low to no appetite for breakfast. Another hallmark symptom of elevated blood sugar. Not everyone gets this but it is most prevalent among those who eat dinner too late or snack after dinner, a time when their hunger goes up!
Did you relate to any of these? You don’t have to have them all, even just one of these indicators is a clue that your blood sugar needs an overhaul! In order to truly fix a blood sugar regulation problem and particularly one that may be a long standing issue or perhaps one that has strong genetic or cultural forces behind it, then you have to understand the mechanics of how glucose and insulin works in your body and how you can optimize their function!
Blood sugar problems are fixable and it all starts with learning! Check out The Blood Sugar Mastery Class™ which gives you all the powerful tools to heal your blood sugar issues on your own!